Sunday, October 19, 2008

To Osaka!

On October 9th I hopped the train and rode it all the way to Osaka. I met up with my old friend Dee who I met at Kansai Gaidai. She is currently working as a kindergarten teacher in Osaka and was willing to take me around a bit. Dee also let me crash at her place, which was fabulous.

I went to my old school - Kansai Gaidai. I was surprised. It was the same. And yet it had moved on without me. I guess part of me always thought of Kansai Gaidai as it was when I was there. My image was static. So when I saw it full of life, with new students making their way, I was surprised.

As I walked around I remembered, but most importantly I just let it go. This place isn't only mine. It is everyones. So I went and picked up the piece of myself I'd left there. At least part of me wouldn't ever have to leave. But I took it back, and I also took Kansai with me. The buildings could all fall down, and it would still be there for me. There's more to this world than we can see; and Kansai will always be with me.

So onto business. I only spent about an hour wandering in my memory. After that I went over to Kyomizu-dera. A temple in Kyoto with the best view of the city.


  Don't you agree?


I'm reminded of Dave Matthews' "Ants Marching".




Here is one happy climber.  Even with my knee I did pretty well.  It usually takes about 30-45 minutes to climb to the top.  Mostly because there are a lot of shops on the narrow roads up to the top and there are tons of people.  Luckily, lost of people meant someone to take my picture!




But really, this is one of the prettiest temples to visit.  Lots of stuff to buy, and a good work out too.  Does it get any better?  I think not.





Next up:  Pastry!




Ah yes.  The beautiful french pastry shops with a Japanese twist.  They make all different kinds of pastry.  And each one is a work of art.  You wouldn't believe how happy everyone was that I wanted their picture.  I told them I would put it on my website and you'd think it was the coolest thing ever.

Look and drool.


So in this picture on the right you can make out the word "トトロ".  Yes.  They made a pastry shaped like the head of Totoro, from the Miyazaki Hayao film.  Things like this are a regular occurrence in Japanese pastry shops.  There everywhere!  I went by two or three just in the train stations!

The really amazing thing is that this is a pastry shop.  The cake shops are just as elaborate and just as much fun to eat at.  If I was living in Osaka, I would not have lost the last five pounds that I have.  Nothing can give you an appetite than passing by these shops all day long.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastry shops...now you're talking my language. In Italy they had great pastries at all of the cafes and since I could never decide which to get I would pick two. The best was the Crema Croissant - - a croissant pumped full of delicious buttercream. Yum!!!