Monday, October 20, 2008

Bring the Funny!

Alright, so here's a funny story for those of you who take life too seriously.

Today we had our Culture Festival at Nankan Junior High School.  After, the students were really excited.  They were hanging out in the hallways waiting to go home.  I was wandering around, talking to them.

Two girls started to talk to me.  They pointed to a boy in their class and said, "Katharine, he is crazy boy."  I politely responded, "Oh really?"  The boy in question overheard and came over and said, "Please Katharine do not believe this person."

Now it started to get interesting.  Knowing that they were getting to him, the girls started to dig their heels in.  They insisted that he was a "crazy boy" and adamantly refused to take it back.  

I don't really think that he was worried that I thought it was true.  But he wouldn't let it go.  So the girls moved on to new territory.  Next stop was, "He's a lie doctor." after learning the word 'lie' from me.  Then when he reacted by speaking in very loud and extremely fast and slurred Japanese, we reached, "High tension".  

I guess that "high tension" is an adjective in Japanese, because that's how they were using it.  The boy kept getting louder.  Then he tried to get some of his friends on his side.  I knew something about his friends.  Two of them come up to me several times a week and point to themselves and say, "We are crazy boys!" with looks of pure pleasure on their faces.  He was screwed.  They were as amused by his reaction as the girls, so they started to support the girls' theory.  

But they didn't move onto anything else, they just strung those three together.  So the "Crazy boy, lie doctor, high tension" boy and his classmates continued until they had to sit down for homeroom and dismissal.

I turned to Yoshida-sensei, the English teacher for the third years, who had walked up near the end of the discussion, and said, "Well, at least they were using English."

No comments: