Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hot Diet


I finally got some pictures of outside.  These are taken from my windows / veranda.  I'll get some more when I go exploring later.




So I had my first run in with an overly protective community.  As some of you know, since I have come to Japan I have had some problems eating.  I got a really nasty stomach from the airplane.  I haven't done very well on the 14 hour plane ride in the past and this time was no exception.  Although it was better than the first flight I took.  I think it was particularly bad this time because I hadn't fully recovered since my surgery, which also made me extremely ill.  So my stomach was not prepared for the random food that came it's way.

In any event, I didn't eat much for the days in Tokyo, and when I did I usually regretted it.  Then I came to Kyushu which is the most South/East island.  The heat here was so much worse than in Tokyo I thought I would die a couple times.  It has gotten a lot better recently.  However, my favorite dinner has been a liter of water.  

Well, that didn't sit too well with my co-workers at the BOE (board of education).  I did consider lying to them, but that's not who I am.  Also, my supervisor Nakashima-san has been taking me everywhere for the last week and a half.  So he knew I hadn't made it through five pieces of bread in as many days, and that I was supposedly eating two or three meals at home each day.  

When my co-worker asked one day what I had made for dinner last night and I said I hadn't eaten anything, I stressed that it was due to the time difference (6pm Japan = 4am America).  Apparently she either didn't buy it or she didn't care.  Next thing I know I have four people or more asking me each day if I made dinner and what I ate.  Luckily a few days later when I didn't eat anything no one asked me.  They must have been busy that day.


To top it all off, a few days later the same co-worker I originally confessed my lack of nutrition to told me she was worried about me.  Asuka asked if black was my favorite color.  I said that it wasn't but that they told us to wear nice clothes when we first came to Japan, and that all of my nice clothes were black.  She didn't say it in as many words, but I believe she thought I was depressed.  The next day I wore a cherry red sweater.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all that water and sweating you're going to waste away to nothing...talk about an effective unintentional diet.

Anonymous said...

There seems to be lots of open space where you are. I guess I didn't expect that.

kati kyushu said...

Hey Audrey,
Yeah, country here means country. And city means city. Just like the US, only there isn't as much middle ground, and the city/country is more distilled.