Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Rude Awakening

You know, just because there haven't been new posts in a few weeks, doesn't mean my adventures here are over.  Not by a long shot.  

The day after I wrote about my bathroom spider visiter, I went in there again and a spider jumped out from the corner.  It must have been the sibling of the one I'd killed yesterday; they looked exactly alike.  This one I showed no mercy, and didn't even try to get it out the window.  Let's say that two days, two spiders, two heart attacks, one tiny room: I'd had enough.

A week or so after that I spotted a larger spider on my ceiling in the landing room, above my book shelves.  By this time I knew right where the spray was, and I was pissed.

Last week I had an encounter with big ugly.  I'm praying they don't get bigger (but I'm not holding my breath).  I went into the kitchen at 9 pm last week on Tuesday and a piece of the black on the microwave door moved.  I was less than thrilled.  I had so much adrenaline I was shaking as I sprayed that cockroach.  There was so much spray used that it congealed on top of the counter.

On Friday night I went out to go to the convenience store.  It was dark out, around 8 or 9 pm.  I put on my shoes, open the door and start to walk outside and there is a huge spider, about the size of a grapefruit sitting on the stoop of the house, startled buy the light turning on (movement activated).  I pulled my foot back inside and let that door shut so fast.  It took me three minutes of heavy breathing before I finally went outside.

Then later Friday night, okay, it was really Saturday morning, I caught a sibling of Thursday's cockroach crawling across my floor.  There was a little less panicing while I sprayed this one, and more remorse about having to wash my floor when this was over.


That brings me to this morning.  5 am.  I felt something on my arm and rolled over.

Only to be bitten by a 7 inch centipede.


I'm starting a song:

Three spiders surprising.
Two roaches flying.
And one centipede biting me in my sleep! 

With all this action, is it any surprise I felt remorse for injuring the centipede?  It freaks me out a lot, but honestly, I'll take one centipede if it means it'll eat all the roaches.  I hope I didn't kill it.  That could mean baby centipedes really soon.  I hit it with my water bottle and got it's rear.  It hid behind a picture I haven't hung up yet, and when I went to get the spray, it disappeared.


So to surmise:

My kitchen is infested with cockroaches.
My landing is claimed by spiders.
My tatami room is centipede territory.

Now I'm thinking I'll sleep in my bedroom.
So what lives there?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you really need my Orkin lady Cathy.

kati kyushu said...

They don't have exterminators here! Wah! Why would you pay someone to kill bugs when they will just come back, right? I explained in detail about fumigating a house, but all I got were a lot of blank stares and 'you really do that in America?"

Danielle said...

OK, I'm sorry but I can't come visit...those bugs would scare the beejeezus out of me. I've seen centipedes, and they are creepy, but 7 inches long...OMG. And seriously no exterminators? Do they not have ways to keep them from getting inside?

Mom said...

When David Lane found rats in his bathroom, I sent him a whole bunch of funny rat books. Should I send you some bug & spider books? :) Mom